Video: Inside the Manure Expo’s first-ever Safety & Operation Knowledge Event
September 14, 2023 by Manure Manager
The 2023 North American Manure Expo contained more than a half-dozen new elements including drag hose demonstrations, manure separator and palletizers on showcase and a Safety & Operations Knowledge Event.
Conceived by Expo board members and supported by various Expo sponsors, the Safety & Operations Knowledge Event revolved around informational sessions that promoted safety in manure handling, as well as manure transportation. Speakers pulled from their years of experience, including close calls.
Walter Grose, owner of Husky Farm Equipment, a longtime farm safety advocate and a speaker from the event, said economic pressures often result in rushing and crucial steps being skipped, such as safety checks and balances.
“We have to spread more gallons with less people in the same amount of time,” said Grose.
- Complete regular inspections on all equipment, and keep records;
- Ensure your personal protective equipment is adequate, up-to-date and functioning;
- Double- and triple-check your potential hazards every time;
- Use buddy systems – especially when a task involves dangerous gases;
- Ensure that you are well-rested and alert while completing a job.
This article is part of the 2023 Safety Week series