“The workshops will help livestock producers put to use the nutrient management planning requirements of Nebraska’s Department of Environmental Quality regulations and increase the economic value of manure,” said Leslie Johnson, University of Nebraska–Lincoln Animal Manure Management coordinator. Participants who attend the day-long event will receive NDEQ Land Application Training Certification.
Livestock producers with livestock waste control facility permits received or renewed since April 1998 must be certified, and farms must complete an approved training every five years. Re-certification will be held during the first two hours of the day-long land application training. Farm personnel responsible for land application of manure are encouraged to attend for either the initial or re-certification portion of the training.
The morning portion of the workshops will consist of a two-hour program including updates on changing regulations and other manure management topics, such as protecting herd health with biosecurity. Any farm staff responsible for implementing the farm’s nutrient plan are encouraged to attend.
Pre-registration is required for all workshops. A $60 fee per operation (includes one representative) will be charged for the workshops plus a $15 fee for each additional participant to cover local costs including lunch.
The re-certification portion of the workshop is $30 for each participant.
The workshops are sponsored by the Nebraska Extension Animal Manure Management Team, which is dedicated to helping livestock and crop producers better utilize manure resources for agronomic and environmental benefits.
Dates, times and locations:
- West Point: Feb. 13, 9 a.m., Nielsen Center, 200 Anna Stalp Ave.
- Lexington: Feb. 15, 9 a.m., Extension office, 1002 Plum Creek Parkway
- Ogallala: Feb. 16, 9 a.m., Extension office, 511 N. Spruce St.
- Scottsbluff: Feb. 21, 9 a.m., Extension center, 4502 Ave. I
- Ainsworth: Feb. 22, 9 a.m., Courthouse meeting room, 148 W 4th St.
- Wilber: Feb. 23, 9 a.m., Extension office, 306 W. Third
- Columbus: Feb. 26, 9 a.m., Pinnacle Bank, 210 East 23rd St.
- Neligh: Feb. 28, 9 a.m., Courthouse meeting room, 501 M St.