Cows overcome by gas fumes from manure pit

Reading Eagle
June 11, 2018
By Reading Eagle
A Shoemakersville Fire Company crew was called to a farm in Perry Township after some cows were overcome by gas fumes from a nearby manure pit. According to initial reports, the frantic caller reported cows were dropping in the barn and he was afraid to enter.

The barn was ventilated with large fans, and firefighters used meters to test to gas levels in the air to make sure it was safe for people and animals.The gas from the manure pit was particularly strong because the manure and bedding was being churned, officials said. The churning machine was turned off when the problem was discovered. | READ MORE

Related: Manure gas safety - Be aware, be safe

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Subscription Centre

 
New Subscription
 
Already a Subscriber
 
Customer Service
 
View Digital Magazine Renew

Most Popular

Latest Events

Manure Science Review
Wed Jul 25, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
2018 North American Manure Expo
Wed Aug 15, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
2018 Canada's Outdoor Farm Show
Tue Sep 11, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
Farm Science Review 2018
Tue Sep 18, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
U.S. Poultry & Egg Environmental Management Seminar
Thu Sep 20, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM
World Dairy Expo 2018
Tue Oct 02, 2018 @ 8:00AM - 05:00PM

We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. To find out more, read our Privacy Policy.