Environmental stewardship recognized at IPPE
February 2, 2016 by Press release
February 2, 2016, Atlanta, GA – Five poultry farm winners and two finalists were recognized for their exemplary environmental stewardship by the U.S. Poultry & Egg Association (USPOULTRY) at the 2016 International Production & Processing Expo (IPPE).
The annual Family Farm Environmental Excellence Award is awarded at IPPE to family farmers engaged in poultry and egg production in acknowledgment of their commitment to environmental stewardship.
“The U.S. poultry industry has long been acknowledged as a leader in environmental management, and we depend on the efforts of family farmers to sustainably produce poultry and egg products. These five winners and two finalists embody the finest of these producers,” said Paul Hill, West Liberty Foods, Ellsworth, Iowa, and newly elected USPOULTRY chairman.
Several management practices related to environmental stewardship were reviewed for each applicant, and farm visits were also conducted. Areas of review included dry litter or liquid manure management, nutrient management planning, community involvement, wildlife enhancement techniques, innovative nutrient management techniques and participation in education or outreach programs. A team of environmental professionals from universities, regulatory agencies and state poultry associations were involved in the selection process.
The winners, listed below, were chosen from five geographical regions from throughout the United States.
- Midwest Region winner – Wildcat Hill Turkey Farm, California, Mo. Paul and Sue Alle, nominated by Cargill Turkey Production
- Northeast Region winner – Riverhill Farms, Port Republic, Va. Glenn and Sheri Rhodes, nominated by Cargill Turkey Products
- South Central Region winner – Allred Acres, Laurel, Miss. Robert and Angela Allred, nominated by Wayne Farms
- Southeast Region winner – Morrison Poultry, Wingo, Ky. Tim and Deena Morrison, nominated by Tyson Foods
- Southwest Region winner – GAP Farm, Rogers, Tex. Gregory and Patti Kieffer, nominated by Cargill Turkey Production and the Texas Poultry Federation
There were also two finalists recognized at the award presentation. They are as follows.
- Midwest Region finalist – Varner Farms, Inc., Cassville, Mo. Terrell and Tonya Varner, nominated by Cargill Turkey Production
- Northeast Region finalist – Bethel Bend Farm, Elkton, Va. Willis and Krystal Heatwole, nominated by George’s Inc.
Print this page