Manure Manager

Features Regional Regulations
Missouri CAFOs face new permitting

January 27, 2010  by Manure Manager

January 25, 2010,
Columbia, MO – Permitted animal feeding operations will soon face a choice as
they look to renew their licensing this year.
January 25, 2010,
Columbia, MO – Permitted animal feeding operations will soon face a choice as
they look to renew their licensing this year.

New rules will require
producers to decide between a new state general permit and a more costly
federal permit.

“Farmers are just now
registering that this is something they will face in the next year,” said John
Lory, University of Missouri Extension environmental nutrient management
specialist. “We understand it’s going to be confusing and farmers need help to
be prepared for the deadlines later this year.”

More than 550 animal
feeding operations in Missouri now hold permits. Most have held a federal
general permit previously. Many of those permits will expire Feb. 23, 2011, so producers
will have to choose between the new Missouri general permit and a federal
permit in time for the application renewal deadline in late July.


Specifics of the new state
general permit are still under development, but two important differences from
the previous permit are known.

The new permit will differ
from previous standards by prohibiting any type of discharge of manure for any
reason. It also requires all producers to use the new Nutrient Management
Technical Standard
to develop a nutrient management plan that will determine
manure application rates and define conditions where manure application is

The second option is to
get a federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit,
which also requires a nutrient management plan that follows NMTS.  The biggest difference in the federal
permit is a provision that allows certain exceptions to strict manure spill

Changes from the old
federal general permit include additional public notice requirements for
obtaining or amending a permit and higher fees compared with the state permit.

Producers with open liquid
manure storage will need to choose carefully, said Lory.

“In simple terms, if an
operation discharges waste there will be fewer ramifications and fines with the
federal permit,” he said. “In most instances that won’t matter, but in a time
like last year where we saw excessive rain, even the best systems can overflow
and that will not be allowed with the state permit.”

The MU Extension
Commercial Agriculture Program will be holding a two-day course on how to
interpret and use the Missouri NMTS Feb. 2 to 3 at the MU Bradford Research and
Extension Center
near Columbia.

Cost of the course is $185
and includes two lunches. Call Katrina Turner-Spencer at 573-882-0378 to
register before Jan. 27.

For more information, see

MU Commercial Agriculture
and the Missouri Department of Natural Resources is also holding free
educational sessions throughout the state to explain CAFO permit requirements
and answer questions:

  • Dexter: March 2, 1 p.m.
    Keller Public Library
  • Eldon: March 8, 7 p.m.
    Eldon Community Center
  • Macon: March 4, 1 p.m.
    Floral Hall, Macon County Park
  • Mexico: March 4, 7 p.m.
    Audrain 4-H Center
  • Mount Vernon: March 1, 1
    p.m. MU Southwest Center
  • Neosho: March 1, 7 p.m.
    Wright Conference Room, Arnold Farber Bldg., Crowder College
  • Sedalia: March 8, 1 p.m.
    Farm Credit Services meeting room
  • Trenton: March 5, 1 p.m.
    Alexander Student Center, North Central Missouri College


Stories continue below