June 12, 2015, Chambersburg, PA – Agriculture, like most industries, is in constant flux. Consumer trends shift, new discoveries are made, technologies advance, and regulations change. The manure handling and application industry is no different.
The North American Manure Expo prides itself on helping livestock producers and custom manure applicators stay in the know. This year’s event – being held July 14 and 15 in Chambersburg, Penn. – provides attendees with more than 30 different education sessions to choose from to help them stay informed.
On July 15, the knowledge sharing begins at 8 a.m. with the first round of seminars on the expo grounds. Subdivided into five different areas of interest, they include:
Commercial Hauler Seminar
- Application of Food Processing Residuals – Linda Housel, Jeff Olsen
- Economic Considerations of Manure Transport with Frac Tanks – Eric Dreshbach
- Road, Field & Shop Safety – Eric Dreshbach
Manure & Corn Seminar
- Shallow Disk Injection Versus Broadcasting of Manure: A Field Study Comparison – Emily Duncan
- Manure Injection in Corn: NY Experiences – Karl Czymmek
- Drag-lining Manure into Emerged Corn: What’s Working in Ohio – Glen Arnold
Poultry Focus Seminar
- Biosecurity & Avian Influenza Update – Gregory Martin
- Poultry Litter & Biosolid Injection – Amy Shober
- Poultry Litter Auction: The Story of Cotner Manure Auction – Dean James
Management Basics Seminar
- 4Rs in the Real World: making Sure Your Manure’s All Right – Brooke & Eric Rosenbaum
- Manure Composting – Jean Bohnotal
- Mortality Composting – Jean Bohnotal
Dairy Focus Seminar
- Factors Effecting Manure P Excretion on PA Dairy Farms – Dan Ludwig, Virginia Ishler
- How Practical is Dairy Manure Injection? – Rory Maguire
- Utilizing Fall Manure to Double Crop Winter & Summer Annual Forages – Rachel Milliron
These same five sessions will also be repeated later in the afternoon, starting at 5 p.m.
Other education seminars being held over the course of the day include:
Responsible Ag (9:30 a.m.)
- Helping Fertilizer Retailers be Safe, Secure & Compliant – Wade Foster
Gas Safety Seminar (9:30 a.m. & 12:30 p.m.)
- Hydrogen Sulfide Production in Manure Storages at PA Dairy Farms that use Gypsum Bedding – Mike Hile
- Demonstration of Penn State’s gas trailer – Dave Hill
Agriculture Road Safety (9:30 a.m. & 1:30 p.m.)
- A review of road safety with Officers Mitchell Saflia & Greg Fisher
PA One Stop Mapping (10 a.m. & Noon)
- Presented by Rich Day & Bob Neiderer
Regulation Changes (Noon)
- Clean Water Act and the “Waters of the United States” Rule: Potential Effects on Nutrient Application – Wade Foster
- Maryland Manure Application Regulation Update – Dwight Dotterer
- Ohio’s New Manure Application Regulations for the Western Lake Erie Watershed – Glen Arnold
- Legal Liability Issues Related to Manure – Matt Royer
Poultry Tour Seminar (12:30 p.m.)
- Two Hundred Years of Manure Management at Lesher’s Poultry – Leslie Bowman
- Recycling Mineral Nutrients from Egg Layer Manure: The Gettysburg Energy & Nutrient Recovery Facility – Pat Topper
Equine Seminar (2 p.m.)
- Equine Manure Composting & Storage Options – Ann Swinker
- Not So Good to Best Management Practices: Manure Handling Improvements that Really Work for Horse Farms – Jamie Cohen
- Equine Parasites in Manure – Donna Foulk
Attendees will also have lots of opportunities to learn in the field. On July 15, attendees can watch solid and liquid manure application plus compost turner demonstrations, take part in a spreader calibration exercise plus learn how to respond during an unexpected manure spill.
And don’t forget the full day of dairy/agitation and equine/beef small farm tours on July 14 plus the trade show – a mini manure city constructed in a field of wheat stubble.
The North American Manure Expo is the perfect opportunity for attendees to talk to manufacturers, dealers and other experts in the manure industry and view side-by-side demonstrations of equipment. Nowhere else can the audience view and compare technologies while kicking the tires in such a large, industry-specific forum.