Cows overcome by gas fumes from manure pit
June 11, 2018 by Reading Eagle
A Shoemakersville Fire Company crew was called to a farm in Perry Township after some cows were overcome by gas fumes from a nearby manure pit. According to initial reports, the frantic caller reported cows were dropping in the barn and he was afraid to enter.
The barn was ventilated with large fans, and firefighters used meters to test to gas levels in the air to make sure it was safe for people and animals.The gas from the manure pit was particularly strong because the manure and bedding was being churned, officials said. The churning machine was turned off when the problem was discovered. | READ MORE